Windows Server 2012 Editions & hardware requirements.
This article gives a brief about the various editions of Windows server 2012 available:
If you are purchasing or downloading the ISO, there are only two editions of Windows server 2012 available . They are
- Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition
As opposed to windows server 2008, there is functionally no difference between both editions, ie clustering, hyper v etc possible in both. Also there is no hardware limitations between the editions. Only difference is in the virtualization rights. While standard edition licenses upto 2 vituial instances , Datacenter provides license for unlimited virtual instances.
There are other flavors of the OS that are available through OEM. Given below are the details :
- Windows Server 2012 Foundation server
- Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Windows storage Server 2012 workgroup
- Windows storage Server 2012 standard
- Windows Multipoint Server 2012 Standard
- Windows Multipoint Server 2012 Premium
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012
Among the above, Foundation server has a limit if 15 users , which cannot be expanded . Also it doesnt support virtualization. Essentials server can support upto 25 users,provides some basic backup/restore functionalities, but again no virtualization functionality
Hyper-V server 2012 is free to download, but doesn't come with any free virtual machine licenses.That means the hosted Virtual machines should be individually licensed.
Minimum hardware requirements:
Proessor - x86-64
Processor speed - 1.4 ghz
Mem- 512 MB
Hdd space - 32 GB